Springtime is asparagus time – at least in my opinion. Every year I get excited when the first bunches of asparagus pile up in the supermarket. However, I’m always waiting until there are the ones that don’t come from too far – seasonal products are key.
As you might know, I love to experiment on my own to find new recipes. For this tarte flambée, you have a crisp base toped with creamy crème fraîche and delicious pieces of green asparagus. The perfect meal for a light dinner on a warm spring evening or for lunch since you can easily make it the day before and then eat it cold on the go.
Hope you’ll get inspired!
- 1 pre-rolled tarte flambée pastry
- 200 g crème fraîche *
- 1 – 2 tbsp butter *
- 500 g green asparagus
- 2 spring onions
- salt and peper
- dried thyme
- side salad
- little buffalo mozzarellas *
*for a vegan option use vegan creame cheese, vegan margarine and leave out the mozzarella
1. Preheat the oven to 200° C.
2. Chop off the stringy ends of the asparagus and peel the under third, the cut in pieces. Cut the green part of the spring onions in small round slices and set them aside. Finely chop the rest of the spring onions.
3. Melt the butter in a pan, add the chopped spring onions and asparagus, season with a nice pinch of salt and let it sizzle until it’s done but not too soft. Then let it cool.
4. Spread the crème fraîche on the pastry, season with thyme, salt and pepper, and then top it with the asparagus. Bake it for about 10 min in the middle of the preheated oven, then sprinkle the green spring onions over it and bake for another 5 minutes or until done.
Serve with a little side salad and the buffalo mozzarellas. Enjoy!
pictures by Matthew Alexander and myself